
Now I know that not everyone is into musicals and they could get a little
cringy at times. Musicals to me are movies where I can let go and sing my heart out and not care if I look stupid. One musical that I can't get enough of is Rob Marshall's
"Chicago". This movie is definitely on my top 20 favorite movies because of the way the director mixes a great crime story and adds a fun musical aspect to it.
Chicago takes place in...
you guessed it, Chicago and it follows the story of an aspiring performer Roxie Hart. After being led on by a guy who promised that her dreams would come true Roxie pulls out a gun and puts a bullet into his chest. She gets arrested and brought into
jail and there she meets the six
mary murderesses of the cook county jail. There she meets with a lawyer who never loses a case and in the end, she makes it out of jail and onto the stage of her dreams. The reason why this movie is one of my favorites because of how empowering it is. These women were screwed over by their husbands and they put them in their place. I know murder is not the answer to anything
but this movie is definitely worth the watch!

Now the next musical I want to talk about doesn't really fit into that typical musical style but, I have to say that Damien Chazelle's "La La Land." is my favorite movie of all time. This movie stars Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling two very popular actors that I think fit the roles perfectly! Emma Stone plays Mia, an aspiring actress, and waitress looking for any opportunity she can find. She meets Ryan Gosling's character Sebastian, a jazz musician that is struggling to save jazz. They fall in love and the director shows their magical love story filled with sacrifice and pain. In the end, we see Mia and Sebastian broken up both living their dreams. Mia gets her big break in a movie shooting in Paris and Sebastian opens up his own jazz club "Sebs." This movie is so special to me because of how beautifully shot it is. Chazelle tells their love story with movie magic and stunning visual elements. The movie teaches us that having a dream comes with sacrifice even if it means sacrificing the one you love. This movie is worth the watch its critically acclaimed and a visual masterpiece. Hope this changes your views on musicals.
Comments
Post a Comment